Funding Your Postgraduate Qualification

Prospective students in need of funding are advised to start looking well before the start of their programme.

UK Students

There are five main sources of postgraduate funding for UK students:

  • Sponsorship from industry
  • Postgraduate Loan
  • Bank loan schemes
  • Educational trusts
  • Research councils (see below) and similar public bodies.

Employer Sponsorship

Postgraduate sponsorship makes for well-qualified, enthusiastic, committed employees and as a result an increasing number of employers are willing to fund or contribute to the costs of a postgraduate qualification. Or your employer may want to help by providing other forms of support - paid leave, money for course materials or help with examination fees.

Professional and Career Development Loans

We are a Professional and Career Development Loans registered Learning Provider, registration number - 6257.

A Professional and Career Development Loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning.

For further information on financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.”

Educational Trusts

Trusts and charities may be able to help with postgraduate study, but awards are relatively small. The Educational Grants Advisory Service can help students to locate appropriate trusts -

Research Councils

There are six Research Councils offering awards for taught and research courses at Master's level and above. Amounts awarded vary, but all awards for UK students include tuition fees payable direct to the institution, plus a contribution towards maintenance, including travel, fieldwork and academic materials. Higher awards may be given to disabled students, mature students or those with dependants.

Research Councils do not accept direct applications from individuals, with the exception of the Economic and Social Research Council. The Councils give quotas of studentships to academic departments for approved programmes, then the departments select those that they feel are the most eligible. Lists of approved academic departments and courses are available directly from the individual councils early in the year. The selection process usually takes place early summer, but deadlines for application may be considerably earlier. Those relevant to University of Lincoln programmes are listed below.

Arts and Humanities Research Council
The AHRC, Whitefriars, Lewins Mead, Bristol BS1 2AE
+44 (0)117 987 6500

Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
Polaris House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 1UH
+44 (0)1793 413256

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC)
Polaris House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 1ET
+44 (0)1793 413043

Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC)
Polaris House, North Star Avenue, Swindon, Wiltshire SN2 1ET
+44 (0)1793 444000

Medical Research Council (MRC)
20 Park Crescent, London, WIN 4AL
+44 (0)20 7636 5422

Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
Awards and Training
+44 (0)1793 411667

Science & technology Facilities Council
Funding and Grants
+44 (0)1793 442000

Other Public Bodies

Students Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS)
Postgraduate Section, Gyleview House, 3 Redheughs Rigg, Edinburgh EH12 9HH
+44 (0)131 244 4667

Department of Agriculture, Northern Ireland (DANI)
AFDS, Education and Finance, Room 555, Dundonald House,
Upper Newtownards Road, Belfast BT4 3SB
+44 (0)28 9052 4710

Central Council for Education and Training in Social Work

3rd Floor, Caledonia House, 223-231 Pentonville Road, London N1 9NG
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7833 2524

Funding for Social Work Degrees

Training and Enterprise Councils
Some TECs award funding for postgraduate study, but support in this area is usually limited to certain subjects of study at certain times. The only way to find out whether there is assistance in your area of interest is to contact your local TEC.

For Students Resident in the European Union

Students living in the European Union but outside the United Kingdom are urged to look for funding in their own country first.

The British Council is a worldwide organisation with offices in European countries which may be able to provide assistance. Details of the location of these offices can be found on the British Council website at

If part of a course is studied in the UK, students may be able to get help with fees. The Department for Education and Employment (DfEE) in the UK has a fees reimbursement scheme which is administered by the British Council. The European Union also provides some grants to promote the exchange of students within Europe - details are available from the EC office in your own country.